CBD Oil for Autism: Can CBD or rare cannabinoid CBDV help?
Have you seen the recent news and scientific studies on CBD oil for autism? Both CBD (cannabidiol) and rare cannabinoid CBDV (cannabidivarin) show potential for aiding some of the behavioral aspects associated with autism. These include anxiety, irritability, self-injury, repetitive behaviors, and sleep deficits. In this article, we will look at laboratory, animal, and human studies on CBDV, CBD and autism. We will take a close look at their potential impact on cognitive and social functioning. If you’d like to jump ahead, scroll down for bullet-pointed lists of links to scientific studies and medical research. You can also find CBDV for sale.
There are many studies demonstrating CBD’s ability to promote stress resilience, calm, and balance, and reduce discomfort. Children, adolescents, and adults have tested both CBD and CBDV. Most people consider non-psychoactive cannabinoids safe and to have few side effects. However, the FDA has approved just one CBD product for seizures. Because of this, if you’d like to try CBDV or CBD oil for autism, it is extremely important to find safe, trustworthy manufacturers and oils. In addition, one should always speak to their primary care physician before taking cannabinoids or any new supplements.
Want to try CBDV or CBD?
If you’d like to buy CBDV oil, we have the tincture for you. Rare Cannabinoid Company is the first and only brand to offer a pure CBDV oil. It is a 500 mg CBDV oil tincture in certified organic MCT coconut oil. We also offer CBD isolates, full spectrum CBD oils, blends, and CBD gummies. The rest of our product line includes tinctures and gummies of cannabinoids and terpenes such as CBDA, CBC, CBG, CBN, and THCV. All products are made in a cGMP (current Good Manufacturing Practices) certified facility. This assures the quality and consistency of each batch of every product. Products are then third-party lab tested. This proves that they contain exactly what’s on the label. It also ensures that there are no residual solvents or contaminants. (Buy CBD oils, isolates, full spectrum and gummies or shop rare cannabinoids here.)
Prevalence of autism spectrum disorder
Autism spectrum disorder is one of the most prevalent disorders in the world. In fact, one in 44 American children has autism, according to the CDC. People with autism spectrum disorder have problems with communication, social interaction, reduced interest, and repetitive behaviors. Unfortunately, there are no medications to treat the core cognitive and behavioral symptoms of autism. The FDA has only approved two medications for autism-associated agitation and irritability. And, they often produce negative side effects. This leaves many families looking outside conventional therapies to seek help for their loved ones.
What is CBD oil?
CBD oil comes from the hemp or cannabis plant, but it does not make users high. It has a wide range of potential mental and physical benefits, including relief from stress, discomfort relief, and improved sleep. CBD helps manage seizures, which is sometimes a coexisting condition with autism.
CBDV (cannabidivarin) is a rare or minor cannabinoid. Just like CBD, it is a non-intoxicating compound found in hemp, cannabis, and other plants. In fact, there are more than 100 other cannabinoids in hemp and cannabis and each one offers unique physiological effects. For example, THCV (tetrahydrocannabivarin) is a stimulant that increases energy and suppresses appetite, while CBN (cannabinol) promotes relaxation and sleep.
CBDV was first identified in the 1960s and has only recently been the focus of scientific research. CBDV supports sociability and memory retention in addition to promoting calm and reducing inflammation after exercise.
Scientific studies on CBDV oil for autism and Rett syndrome (which also falls under the autism umbrella) show great promise.
Studies on CBDV oil for autism
- This 2019 study of CBDV for autism “provides preclinical evidence in support of the ability of CBDV to ameliorate behavioral abnormalities resembling the core and associated symptoms of ASD.” A mouse model of autism was used for the study. It found that larger doses of CBDV improved sociability, short-term recognition memory, and compulsive self-grooming and locomotion. CBDV dosage for autism needs to be studied more closely. But, researchers found that the higher doses of CBDV restored brain signaling and offered beneficial effects for the mice in this experiment.
- This 2019 study looked at the effects of CBDV on brain excitation and inhibition systems in adults with and without autism spectrum disorder. Researchers reported that “CBDV can “shift” subcortical levels of the brain’s primary excitatory metabolite glutamate” in both normal and autistic brains. They suggested that future studies examine the effect of CBDV on behavior and determine if CBDV could offer a potential clinical treatment for autism.
- This 2021 study found that CBDV may normalize brain function in people with autism. An acute dose of CBDV modulated the brain chemistry in adult autistic patients toward neurotypical function. The researchers suggested that future studies are needed to see if the reduction in hyper-connectivity to normal levels is accompanied by changes in autism symptoms.
- This ongoing study is being carried out on 100 children ages 5 to 18 years old with autism spectrum disorder. In looking at CBDV oil for autism, it is primarily focused on seeing if CBDV can affect irritability in children with autism.
- CBDV has also been studied for the rare neurodevelopmental disorder Rett syndrome, which is classified as a form of autism spectrum disorder. In this animal study, CBDV improved general health, sociability, motor coordination and normalized brain weight in a mouse model of Rett syndrome.
- In this mouse model study of Rett syndrome, CBDV improved cognitive, neurological, and motor function and improved memory.
Laboratory studies on CBD oil for autism
- In a 2018 study, 80% of children with autism given CBD oil saw improvements. Amazingly, they had not seen improvements when taking pharmaceutical medications. With CBD, 80% of parents reported a decrease in problematic behaviors, with 62% saying they saw significant improvements. Half of the autistic children improved communication and 40% saw significant decreases in anxiety (one-third of the participants began the study with no anxiety).
- A 2018 study on 53 children with autism given CBD oil for a median duration of 66 days showed positive results. Self-injury and rage attacks improved in 67.6%. Hyperactivity symptoms improved in 68.4%, and sleep problems improved in 71.4%, Anxiety improved in 47.1%. The parents of children in the study suggested that CBD oil improved these areas of symptoms. However, researchers want to evaluate long-term effects in larger studies.
- A 2019 study tested CBD for ADHD and autism. Five out of 10 participants also had seizure disorders. The study found improvements in all but one of the 15 autistic patients taking CBD oil. CBD improved outcomes for ADHD and autism, other behavioral disorders, motor deficits, autonomy deficits, communication and social interaction, cognitive deficits, and with sleep and seizures. However, an additional three patients dropped out of the study before its conclusion.
- A 2020 study looked at the potential of CBD for mental health, including CBD for autism and CBD for ADHD and autism. The study described CBD as helping in alleviating symptoms of the comorbidities of autism and ADHD as well as social anxiety disorder and schizophrenia.
- An ongoing study, which is expected to be completed in June 2023, is looking at CBD oil’s effects on 70 children and adolescents with autism spectrum disorder. The primary focus of this CBD autism study is to see if CBD helps with irritability, aggressive behaviors, and anxiety.
What is the best CBD oil for autism?
Given the prevalence of autism and the lack of traditional medications, many people are turning to CBDV and CBD oil for autism. Despite the promising studies on CBD and autism, we need to remember that the FDA has not approved any CBD oil for autism or for any use other than a single CBD pharmaceutical medication for one specific type of seizures.
When trying any hemp or cannabis products, you must be vigilant in triple checking their safety profile.
Rare Cannabinoid Company is one of the few brands that produces all CBD and rare cannabinoid products in a cGMP certified facility and shows independent lab test results on our website and by QR code on product packaging. At the forefront of the rare cannabinoid industry, we are the only company producing a purified CBDV oil tincture and offer the widest range of rare cannabinoid isolates, gummies, and full spectrum CBD oil blends.
For those interested in broad spectrum CBD oil, Rare Cannabinoid Company’s sister brand, Hawaiian Choice, is a luxury lifestyle CBD oil company that specializes in broad spectrum Hawaiian CBD infused with organic terpenes and Hawaiian fruits, essential oils, or honey.
Where to buy CBDV oil and CBD oil
Here are a few suggested products:
CBDV Oil (cannabidivarin): Rare Cannabinoid Company is only place to buy CBDV oil. No one else is currently selling it on its own. It contains 500mg CBDV in certified organic MCT coconut oil. It has a spray cap for easy dosing. Each spray contains 6.7 mg CBDV and there are 75 sprays per bottle.
CBD Gummies: These gummies are vegan and taste really good, which makes it easy to take CBD. Each naturally strawberry-flavored gummy contains a large amount of CBD, 30 mg, and zero THC. There are 30 CBD gummies per container.
Full Spectrum Hawaiian CBD: This rich 1000 mg CBD oil comes from Hawaiian hemp. The premium hemp grows on the slopes of Haleakala Volcano on the Hawaiian island of Maui. It is a full spectrum oil, which means that in addition to CBD, it contains trace amounts of other cannabinoids. Even small amounts of CBN (cannabinol) and CBG (cannabigerol) will produce the entourage effect. Organic food grade Italian lemon and wild orange oils offer a refreshing flavor. It contains less than 0.3% THC.
Extra strength 3000mg CBD oil: This CBD oil is extremely strong. It contains 3000mg CBD and comes with a dropper instead of a spray cap for precision dosing. As a CBD isolate oil, it contains zero THC. This also means it’s naturally flavorless and can be mixed into oil-based drinks.
Broad spectrum CBD oil tinctures: Hawaiian Choice CBD oils each contain 750mg broad spectrum Hawaiian CBD oil. Broad spectrum oil starts as a full spectrum oil. It then has all traces of THC removed to below lab detectable levels. The oil still retains other cannabinoids for the entourage effect. Hawaiian Choice tinctures contain organic or wild crafted pineapple, passion fruit, hibiscus, noni, and Big Island honey. Organic terpenes offer specific effects: Relax, Relief, Focus, and Active.
What is the best CBD oil dosage for autism?
When taking CBD oil or cannabinoids, it is best to start low and go slow. Be sure to tell your doctor before trying CBD or any supplements, especially if you are taking any medications.
CBD, CBDV and other cannabinoids can build up in your body. This means that instead of building up a tolerance to them, you may actually feel increased effects over time. They generally do not work immediately. But, you are likely to feel their effects after taking them for a week or two. However, each person is different.
It is best to take cannabinoids at the same time each day. Keep a journal of how much you are taking and anything you feel. This will help you accurately adjust your dose as time goes on.
Do not exceed 70 mg total cannabinoids per day, unless recommended to do so by your doctor. You need to keep track and add up the amounts of CBD, CBDV and other cannabinoids. Add them up and make sure not to exceed 70 mg in a 24-hour time period.
The future of CBD and autism
More and more studies are being done on CBD oil and autism and as well as CBDV autism research. There is also a growing general awareness of hemp products and the plant’s potential. This makes us hopeful that we will find out more about CBD and autism in the near future.
CBD companies are frequently asked about “CBD for ADHD and autism,” “CBD for high functioning autism,” “CBD oil autism dosage.” People clearly want answers. There is so much interest out there, but the research needs to move forward before there can be definitive answers. Per FDA regulations, CBD companies cannot give advice regarding any health conditions.
For now, we recommend reading medical studies on CBD and autism and doing online research. We also have a list of independent cannabinoid health advisors. They are doctors, nurses, and clinicians experienced in cannabis, hemp, cannabinoids, terpenes and Rare Cannabinoid Company’s specific products. These individuals and clinics are completely separate entities from the brand and are allowed to offer advice on specific conditions. Find a cannabinoid health advisor here. Please remember to always speak to your primary care physician as well.