What is THCA vs Delta 9?
What is THCA vs Delta-9-THC? There are multiple forms of THC out there, but what are the differences between them? There are THCA, Delta-8-THC, Delta-9-THC, Delta-10-THC etc., THCV and more. Recently, when writing about our energizing, appetite curbing THCV gummies, some readers wrote in confusing THCA flower with THCV oils and our THC Mood Gummies. We get it; all these acronyms sound similar! So, in this blog, we will answer: What is THCA vs Delta 9?
Before we get started, don’t forget that you can try our gummies for free (with or without Delta-9-THC)! Simply take our 1-minute Cannabinoid Finder Quiz and you’ll receive a coupon code for 10 free gummies of your choice (up to $25 value). We offer gummies containing THC, CBN, CBG, CBC, and THCV.
THCA vs Delta 9 in cannabis
THCA (tetrahydrocannabinolic acid) and Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (Delta-9-THC) are two distinct compounds found in cannabis and hemp plants. Here’s an overview of the differences between Delta 9 vs THCA:
- THCA (Tetrahydrocannabinolic Acid):
- THCA is the acidic precursor of Delta-9-THC and is abundant in raw, freshly harvested cannabis plants.
- It is non-psychoactive, meaning it does not produce the “high” or intoxicating effects typically associated with cannabis use.
- THCA must be decarboxylated (heated) to convert it into Delta-9-THC. This process removes the carboxyl group from THCA, turning it into its active form (Delta-9-THC). In other words, some people smoke THCA flower. Although the THCA flower is non-psychoactive before being heated, it becomes psychoactive once heated. Therefore, people can get high by smoking THCA flower.
- Some people believe that THCA relieves discomfort and occasional nausea.
- Natural THCA flower can be as safe as other cannabis flowers. However, some companies cut corners by using hemp flowers (with mostly CBD) and spray them with a chemical THCA solution. Depending on the chemicals involved, this can be dangerous and result in lung problems. Similarly, the chemicals involved in creating THCA vape cartridges can pose health risks.
- Delta-9-Tetrahydrocannabinol (Delta-9-THC):
- Delta-9-THC is the most well-known and primary compound in cannabis and is also present in hemp. It may also be psychoactive.
- It binds to the cannabinoid receptors in the brain and central nervous system, leading to various effects.
- When cannabis is heated (e.g., smoked, vaped, or cooked), THCA undergoes decarboxylation, converting into Delta-9-THC, so both THCA and Delta-9-THC have some very similar effects when THCA is heated.
- Delta-9-THC is naturally found in cannabis and hemp and the flowers of both can be safe when purchased from cannabis dispensaries or reputable sources. Delta-9-THC that is extracted from hemp or cannabis is also safe when purchased from dispensaries or companies that use cGMP-certified facilities and show lab reports for each batch of every product online. However, without doing one’s due diligence there can also be health risks. (All Rare Cannabinoid Company products are made in a cGMP-certified facility and we proudly show our lab reports so you know exactly what you’re getting.)
Summary of key differences
In summary, THCA is the non-psychoactive precursor of Delta-9-THC found in raw cannabis, while Delta-9-THC is the active compound responsible for the potentially intoxicating effects of marijuana. When you heat cannabis, THCA is converted to Delta-9-THC, which is why smoking or vaping cannabis produces the typical effects associated with marijuana use.
What is THCV?
THCV (tetrahydrocannabivarin) is a rare cannabinoid offering completely different effects despite sounding very similar to THCA and THC. In fact THCV has a stimulating effects. It offers energy, focus, and appetite control. This makes it excellent for use before working out, studying, or going to work. When combined with THC, it will offer similar, uplifting effects to cannabis flowers like Durban Poison and Doug’s Varin. However, for the full effects of THCV to be felt, we recommend taking dedicated THCV products. We also offer THC + THCV gummies with an extremely large amount of THCV that will curb the THC munchies.
What is Delta-8-THC?
Delta-8-THC, Delta-10-THC, THC-P and many other compounds are considered to be “novel cannabinoids.” Although they occur naturally in very small quantities in cannabis and hemp (like THCA and THCV), virtually all of the Delta-8-THC and other forms of tetrahydrocannabinol are synthetic cannabinoids converted from CBD. They are not natural and many are not safe. There have been many reports of poisoning and even death with Delta-8.
Conclusion: THCA vs Delta 9, THCV & Novel THCs
We hope this helped you understand the differences between THCA vs Delta 9 THC as well as THCV and the novel cannabinoids. Please explore our website for more information on the dozens of cannabinoids found in hemp and cannabis.
Where To Buy THCA and Delta 9?
We do not sell any THCA products and unfortunately cannot vouch for the safety of any THCA you can buy online or in regular stores. Cannabis dispensaries are highly regulated and are a safe bet if you want to buy THCA and live in a state with dispensaries.
We do sell THC gummies and ship them to all locations across the United States. They are made with natural Delta-9-THC extracted from hemp and are federally legal as they contain less than 0.3% THC. We offer the following THC products:
- THC + CBC Mood Gummies Jars – Each gummy contains 5mg Delta-9-THC, 5mg CBC oil, and 10mg CBD. They are designed to improve mood by raising levels of the brain’s “bliss” molecule anandamide. There are 30 Mood Gummies per jar.
- THC + CBC Mood Gummies Packets – These are the same Mood Gummies but each packet contains 10 edibles, perfect for on the go dosing.
- THC + THCV Uplift Gummies – These gummies were designed to offer the euphoric bliss of THC minus the munchies and couch lock thanks to very high levels of THCV and CBD.
- THC + CBN Sleep Gummies – High potency CBN will help you fall asleep quickly and stay asleep. Delta-9-THC brings enjoyable dreaminess and CBD and CBD enhances all effects.
- THC + CBG Relief Gummies – Melt away stress, soreness, and discomfort, while supporting joint and brain health with high levels of CBG enhanced with Delta-9-THC and CBD.